Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Spicy Apple Cake



This apple cake I baked last month goes so well with some pleasant afternoon tea. My family and I really enjoyed it, so I thought I would share the recipe here.

Ingredients:


1/2 cup butter
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 cup apple compote
2 and 1/2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/6 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

To make the apple compote:

  1. Peel 5 average apples (the sourer the better), take the seeds off, and chop them up.
  2. Boil the apples in a quarter cup of water for like 7 minutes.
  3. Add 1/4 cup sugar and let them boil a little more.

To make the cake:

  1. Mix the sugar and the butter with an electric mixer till the color turns lighter, then add the eggs one at a time, beating each for 1 minute.
  2. Sift all the dry ingredients together twice, add them to the egg-butter-sugar mixture and mix gently with a spatula. This addition should be done in around three parts, adding some of the apple compote in between.
  3. Add the raisins and the walnuts, mixing the whole mixture gently.
  4. Oil your cake pan, pour the mixture in and bake in the oven for 30 to 50 minutes with 175°C (350°F). 


To decorate your cake, you can use anything from sprinkles to powdered sugar. Here, I sprinkled some powdered sugar through a DIY heart template I'd made.

I hope you enjoy this cake! :)

Noushin


No comments: